This article is for customers who have already purchased an Aura frame for somebody special and who would like to further personalize the gift experience.
If you have not yet purchased an Aura frame, please visit this article to find out more about the different gift preparation options.
Please select the scenario that describes your situation:
- The frame is currently in my possession
- I bought the frame from auraframes.com and shipped it directly to the recipient
- I bought the frame from an Aura retail partner and shipped it directly to the recipient
1) The frame is currently in my possession
If you have the frame in your possession and want to further customize the gift experience before passing it on to the recipient, you can do any of the the following:
- Add a virtual message and featured photo
- Upload photos
- Invite other members to the frame
- Pre-set the WiFi network for the recipient
Here's how this works:
- If you don’t already have the Aura app, visit the Apple App Store or Google Play and search “Aura Frames” to locate and install the free Aura app. Alternatively, you can go to auraframes.com/app to download the app and create your Aura account.
Note: Aura recommends using the free Aura app to prepare a gift frame, since the app offers more options (including the Gift Setup Code). If you prefer using our Web Portal, please look at this FAQ.
- If you have used the Aura app before, tap on "+ New Frame" to set up your new frame. If this is the first time you are using the app, you won't see that option but get directed to the next screen.
- Since this is a gift, please select that the frame is for "Someone else".
- Then, select the Gift setup code option since this will allow you to prepare the frame without unpacking the frame.
- Remove the clear wrapping from the box and peel away the external printed sheet located on the side or bottom of the box to reveal the Gift Setup code. Depending on your frame, this may be in different locations:
- Allow the Aura App to access your camera so you can scan the gift setup code by pointing your phone’s camera at the Gift Setup code on the Aura packaging.
Note: The Gift code can only be used once and it will expire the moment that the frame is unboxed and connected to power.
If you get a message that the Gift Setup Code “has already been used or is invalid" invalid, please go back to step 4, select the “Plug in the frame” option and complete the gift preparation from step 7 onwards.
- The app will now offer you the following options to prepare the gift:
Upload a virtual message and a featured photo that will appear on the frame when the recipient connects it to their WiFi network. The message will also appear once in the recipient's app and it is saved in the Aura Frames app under the Activity tab.
Invite friends and family (not the gift recipient!) that want to contribute to this frame. You can do this now or skip for later, more info can be found in this article
Add photos - or entire albums - to the frame. The frame will start displaying them once the recipient has connected it to their WiFi network.
- Next, choose how you want to set up the WiFi Connection
This is the most common option and allows the recipient to finish the setup by using the free Aura app to connect the new frame to their WiFi. Here is an article that describes the frame setup in further detail.
If you know the recipient’s WiFi network name and password, you can use this option to pre-set it on the frame. it will then automatically connect to the recipient’s network. This option is great if the recipient doesn’t own a smart device. Note: if you input the details incorrectly, an invited frame member needs to use the Aura app to change the WiFi settings onsite.
Only choose this option if you are actually at the recipient’s destination
so you can connect the frame to their WiFi network. Otherwise, please
use the “Connect Later” or “Preset WiFi” option.
- Until the frame has been connected to the recipient’s WiFi, the frame will be displayed as "Gift for: xxxx" and you can edit or erase the prepared gift as described in this FAQ.
- Congratulations - the gift preparation is completed! Pack up the frame and send it to the final recipient. You are automatically a member of this frame now and you can use your account (via the App or the web uploader) to continue uploading new photos to this frame and invite more members to the frame to continue to enjoy your photos together.
When the recipient receives their frame:
- WiFi NOT preset: The recipient will install the free Aura app to create an account and follow the clear in-app instructions to set up their frame on their WiFi network. The frame will then display your message and any uploaded photos. The gift message will then also appear on the app once, before it is saved in the app's Activity tab. Only on rare occasions, the recipient may have to input a Gift Claim Code > Find more Info HERE.
- WiFi preset: The frame will automatically connect to the recipient’s WiFi network the moment it is plugged in to power. The frame will then display your message and any uploaded photos. The gift message will then also appear on the app once, before it is saved in the app's Activity tab. Only on rare occasions, the recipient may have to input a Gift Claim Code > Find more Info HERE.
- The frame will appear in every frame member's app as "Gift Frame" until the recipient connects it to their WiFi. Once the frame is online, the owner will have the ability to rename their frame, change frame settings, view all the photos selected for the frame from within the Aura app and on the frame. All members can continue to add photos to the frame to surprise and delight the gift recipient.
3) Frame purchased from an Aura retail partner and shipped to the recipient
Unfortunately, in this scenario you won’t be able to further personalize the gift. However, the frame will come in a gift-ready box and - even without further preparation - is a great gift in itself!
If the gift recipient invites you to their frame (see this article), you can remotely upload photos and enjoy the frame together.
When the recipient receives their frame:
- They will install the free Aura app to create an account and follow the clear in-app instructions to set up their frame on their WiFi network.
- The recipient can then invite friends and family to their frame. Any invited frame member can then remotely upload photos to the frame via the Aura app or Web Uploader to surprise and delight the gift recipient.