Aura takes customer privacy seriously and we only collect data that is necessary in order to provide our photo sharing services (= Functionality) and to improve our customers' experience (= Analytics).
|Aura will never sell your data.|
|Note: Your photos and photo library are never shared with anyone else or uploaded, except those individual photos that you add to a frame which are visible to all other invited members of the frame.|
You can install and access the app without granting it any access rights to your photos. This will still allow you to set up and control the frame via the app, but the app won't be able to upload any photos from your device photo library unless you grant it the required photo permissions.
The first time you use the Aura app's "add photos" option, you will be offered the following 3 options:
- Smart Suggestions: Share photo metadata (optional). Explained further below.
- Allow Access: the app will offer you the following photo permission options:
- Select Photos: Pre-select the photos in your device library that the app can see. Note: this means that the Aura app will never see any new photos or albums unless you have manually pre-selected them first. Note: limiting the app's photo access permissions will stop your Aura App from seeing - and syncing with - iCloud shared albums.
- Access to All Photos: The easiest option and recommended by Aura. At any time, you can simply use the Aura app's "Add Photos" option to see and select any of your device photos and albums. Your photo library still remains private since neither Aura nor any invited frame members can see it.
- Don't Allow: The Aura app cannot see or upload any photos from your device library. You will have to use "Other Options" to upload photos to your frame.
- Other Options: Upload photos via the Google Photos integration or Aura's Web Uploader
|You can change your Aura app photo permissions at any time by accessing your iOS device's Settings menu (not the app), tapping on the Aura app and changing the "Photos" permissions:|
You can install and access the app without granting it any access rights to your photos. This will still allow you to set up and control the frame via the app. If you want to add photos from your device photo library, however, the app will request permission to access your photo library and to display your photos. This is necessary so you can see and select the photos that you want to send to your frame.
3) Optional: Smart Suggestions
By default, the Aura app will offer 'Smart Suggestions' to help you find the best and most relevant photos to display on your frame. In order to offer these recommendations, the Aura app will collect and upload so-called 'metadata' about your device's photo library to the cloud. If you turn off Smart Suggestions, Aura will only consider metadata from those selected photos that you actually add to your frame.
How to turn off Smart Suggestions:
- Toggle the 'Smart Suggestions' switch to OFF during the initial app setup, or:
- Turn it off at any time by using the 'View Account' menu in your Aura app.
4) Google Photos Integration
This FAQ explains our Google Photos integration that allows you to easily send your photos from Google Photos to your frame.
In order to use this integration, users will have to grant the Aura app access to their Google Photos account. However, we will only save those photos to our secure servers that you are selecting for your frame.
Any photos that you upload to your frame - via a smart device, the web uploader or Google Photos - are stored securely on your device, on Aura's cloud servers and on your Aura frame. They are never shared with any third parties, or with other Aura users without your permission.
Aura uploads and stores your photos in a secure cloud database, powered by Amazon Web Services (AWS). In addition, Aura uses the AES-256 advanced encryption industry standard to protect your photos during transfer. Your photos will also be stored locally on your frame, and your frame will sync with our cloud database regularly to ensure photos you add or remove from your frame in the app are removed or added to the frame. If you would like to delete your Aura account and data, please contact Aura Customer Care.
|Note: although any uploaded photos are stored in our secure cloud database, we recommend that you also back up your photos separately. Aura does not specifically offer a backup service so we can't accept any responsibility for lost photos.|
6) Summary: permissions and reasons we may ask for
In addition to the above described photo access permissions (which are also listed in this table), the Aura app may use the following permissions in certain situations:
|Bluetooth||Required for the initial frame setup (to establish the WiFi connection).|
|Location||Android requires this app permission in order to offer Bluetooth support.|
|Camera||Used for adding your profile photos and for scanning the Gift Code.|
|Photo Library||As described in this article.|
|Notifications||Used for the 'reactions' and 'comment' feature, Family Sharing, the app's 'Activity' stream and Smart Suggestions.|
|Contacts||Used for Family Sharing (we will never upload all your contacts to our servers).|