Aura users can upload and enjoy videos on their frames if they install the latest Aura Frames app. Similar to photos, there is no storage limit but it will of course take longer to upload videos since they are typically 5-10 times the size of photos.
For fastest uploads, please keep your app open (in the foreground), and your smart device plugged in and connected to WiFi. You can find more info HERE.
|All frames - including new ones - will need a software update before they can support our video feature. Your frame should automatically detect and install the new software after connecting to your WiFi network. This can take a few minutes and multiple upload cycles during which the frame reboots.|
- How does the feature work?
- Which video formats are supported?
- How do I hear the sound in my videos?
- Can I turn off videos in my frame?
- Video settings & Remote Control
- Will all Aura frame models support videos?
1) How does the feature work?
Use your Aura Frames app and upload videos just as you have been uploading photos to your frame(s). The length is limited to 30 seconds which in our estimate covers about 75% of videos on the average user's smartphone:
- Select the video(s) from your device's photo library / camera roll
- You can review the clip and remove the audio by default if you don't want any frame members to hear it.
- You can also upload the video straight away without reviewing it
Our app will trim longer videos to the first 30 seconds but you can change the interval in the Aura App afterwards by tapping on the video and then selecting the video camera icon:
Uploaded videos will be integrated into your normal frame slideshow and auto-play without sound when their turn has come. Once played, they will show a still image until the slideshow advances according to its interval.
Currently it is not possible to:
2) Which video formats are supported?
Any video that plays on your smartphone can be added with the Aura app. When they are added, they will always be re-encoded to H.264 and may be downsampled to roughly 1080p for maximum compatibility with current and future Aura products.
If your video has Slow-Motion, Time-lapse, or other video effects applied, they will typically be preserved when uploaded.
We do not support HDR or Dolby Vision, and any videos with those technologies will be converted to SDR when added to your frame.
3) How do I hear the sound in my videos?
Auto-played videos will always be silent, even if your frame has a speaker, to avoid annoying background noise in your home. You can always use the Aura app to play the video with sound, whether your frame has a speaker or not.
If your frame has a speaker, then use either of the following to trigger a video replay that also plays the sound on your frame:
- Open the in-app "remote control" function in your Frame Settings and select "replay". You can also control the volume from that menu.
- Simply tap on the Touch Bar once to play the video with sound. Hold the Touch Bar until the menu pops up. Ensure that the "volume" is up before selecting "Replay" to start the video (with sound) on your frame:
The audio volume setting will be remembered for the next time you replay a video. If you set the volume to "0" then you will not be able to hear the video even if you replay it. Once the video is done playing, your frame will return to silent mode until you choose to replay another video.
4) Can I turn off videos on my frame?
Yes, simply open the Aura App, go to the Frame Settings and turn off "Autoplay Videos". You and other frame members can still upload videos but they will no longer play automatically in the slideshow. Instead, you can play them on-demand from the Touch Bar, the in-app Remote Control feature or the "Show Now" action.
|Note: Disabling "Autoplay Videos" will also turn off Live Photo support.|
5) Video Settings & Remote Control
Accessing the Frame Settings, you can change the video settings. Be aware that most settings will apply to your photos and videos:
- Timing: Sets the slideshow interval. However, if your video hasn't finished the playback, the frame will wait before moving to the next video/photo.
- Photo Order: Whether or not videos & photos are displayed in chronological or shuffled order.
- Autoplay Videos: disable it if you don't want Videos and iOS "Live Photos" to be displayed as videos. Instead, they will now show up as still photos.
- Intelligent Pairing: Available for Carver, Buddy and Gallerie frames, this feature will pair two photos and/or videos to fill the widescreen display.
- Speaker Volume: If your frame has a loudspeaker, you can set the default volume for your speaker. This can also be done via the touch bar or the remote control featureThe frame will remember the volume, so check this
- Remote Control: This feature allows you to easily control your video (and photo) slideshow. (1) "Edit" allows you to trim your video, (2) the replay icon will play your video with sound (if your frame has a speaker) and (3) you can also adjust the video volume.
6) Will all Aura frame models support videos?
Yes, all frame models will be able to display your 30-second videos. However, only the newest 2021 frame models with speakers will be able to play sound on the frame. To find out if your frame has speakers, simply turn it around:
Frame without speaker
Frame with speaker